Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 73

Thread: The Speaker Cable

  1. #41
    Senior Hostboard Member AltecLansingFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 28th, 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    113
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: The Speaker Cable

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Guy View Post
    Hey I'm thinking of visiting the Netherlands anyway.

    You have it all wrong, it's not the cable talk that's critical, it was your post and the fact that you are stereotyping people.

    Out of millions of Americans, maybe a few thousand have ever been in a shootout, if you discount those who have served in the military.
    I'd be willing to invite you to my farm if you ever make it over here, to show you a view of American life you probably don't get in your media.

    And if I make it to the Netherlands next summer I'll buy you a "coffee" if you refrain from spouting how much more you know than every one else.


    Yes everyone here loves spouting, even my grandma loved it 60 years ago, and knew a lot.

  2. #42
    Inactive Member bvn's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 2nd, 2010
    Posts
    22
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: The Speaker Cable

    Hi, I'm a retired engineer and was the chief engineer of a speaker manufacturer for about 6 years (If you used our products, you would not be impressed - low cost, high margin house brands).
    ---
    I generally build my own cables. Occasionally I buy from outfits such as partsexpress. Monster brand cables work pretty well on stage and in recording studios. Basically an environment where they get stepped on, thrown around, and, on occasion, used to lash things down. Hosa is a good brand and holds up quite well. I'm pretty ignorant of current consumer and residential audio, which don't seem to present the kind of environment where Monster would be much of an improvement over lamp cord.
    ---
    My idea of an overly long speaker cable is 6 feet. Anything longer deserves balanced (CMR - Common Mode Rejection) line level (+4 dBu, not -10 dBv) with the power amp at the end near the transducer. Yes, I know - very old school. Remember, I am retired and on SS, so I should be permitted the occasional grump.
    ---
    I have been designing sound reproduction, monitoring, and recording systems off and on since the 60's.

  3. #43
    Senior Hostboard Member Mustang Marvin's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 3rd, 2009
    Location
    Trussville, Alabama
    Posts
    209
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: The Speaker Cable

    Well as usual, I'm a little confused.
    Most of the discussion here of the technical nature is not only over my head, but confusing to say the least. Since my new speaker cables will probably be a one time purchase I don't mind spending a little more money than I would for lamp (zip) cord. I am using 16 gauge Monster cable now. I've had them for awhile, so I don't remember where I got them. I will need to replace them in my new house. I feel pretty satisfied with them, so I will probably use the same thing in the new house.

    I have used lamp cord before and have seen the green residue on the copper wire, so I will stay away from that. The Monster cable I have now doesn't show any sign of that. I feel if the wire is of a large enough gauge and designed for audio use, a more costly wire is a waste of money. At least to my ears. Others may feel differently. I say use what you feel comfortable with. I've always heard your system will only sound as good as the weakest component. Good wire and connectors are a must, but I don't feel you need to get a bank loan to pay for speaker wire just because someone says it is the best.

  4. #44
    Senior Hostboard Member AltecLansingFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 28th, 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    113
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: The Speaker Cable

    Quote Originally Posted by Mustang Marvin View Post
    Well as usual, I'm a little confused.
    Most of the discussion here of the technical nature is not only over my head, but confusing to say the least. Since my new speaker cables will probably be a one time purchase I don't mind spending a little more money than I would for lamp (zip) cord. I am using 16 gauge Monster cable now. I've had them for awhile, so I don't remember where I got them. I will need to replace them in my new house. I feel pretty satisfied with them, so I will probably use the same thing in the new house.

    I have used lamp cord before and have seen the green residue on the copper wire, so I will stay away from that. The Monster cable I have now doesn't show any sign of that. I feel if the wire is of a large enough gauge and designed for audio use, a more costly wire is a waste of money. At least to my ears. Others may feel differently. I say use what you feel comfortable with. I've always heard your system will only sound as good as the weakest component. Good wire and connectors are a must, but I don't feel you need to get a bank loan to pay for speaker wire just because someone says it is the best.


    You are right, but if you can give somebody some FREE advice, I think there is nothing wrong with that. Everyone can do with it what he wants, no more and no less.
    Only some cable skeptical here on this forum, reply like a snake, and they think, that you are some kind of representative of Tel Sell.

  5. #45
    Senior Hostboard Member
    The Speaker Cable


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: The Speaker Cable

    Quote Originally Posted by AltecLansingFan View Post
    You are right, but if you can give somebody some FREE advice, I think there is nothing wrong with that. Everyone can do with it what he wants, no more and no less.
    Only some cable skeptical here on this forum, reply like a snake, and they think, that you are some kind of representative of Tel Sell.
    That's not what happened.

    You came in posting stereotypes and were called on it. Nobody would have said anything had you posted what you use and and simply stated it's your opinion.
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  6. #46
    Senior Hostboard Member
    The Speaker Cable


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: The Speaker Cable

    Quote Originally Posted by Mustang Marvin View Post
    I have used lamp cord before and have seen the green residue on the copper wire, so I will stay away from that.
    Synthetic rubber is cured with sulfur. Not good, copper/sulfur and moisture equals green.

    OTOH there are many other insulations. Frankly, plastic would be preferable to synthetic rubber.

    Generally, good old Belden twisted pair works fine. And it's cheap.

    Not directed at you-just in general...

    I have no issues with what anybody uses for wire ...it's your money, spend it how you want... just say it's your opinion. Truth is there are few hard and fast facts about wire.

    And even if you like a certain coloration, no guarantee it will work for somebody else. better to post describing what you heard, if you like a certain wire, than to post how great it is without qualifications. At least that way somebody looking for that has a direction to try...not everybody is looking for the same thing.:coffeedrinker:
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  7. #47
    Senior Hostboard Member Panomaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 25th, 2006
    Posts
    1,811
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: The Speaker Cable

    Even shoot-outs can be tough. (See Mike's post above)
    For years I went to the Infocomm trade show. They had a huge projector shootout. Hundreds of projectors grouped by brightness. Side by side like that, it was easy to tell which was better, worse, different. Very useful. And almost impossible to do with audio.

    Yet, they ended up dropping the shootout, there were far too many complaints from the manufacturers about the test conditions. I think mostly they just didn't like their product being seen clearly as bad - so blame the test.

  8. #48
    Senior Hostboard Member AltecLansingFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 28th, 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    113
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Lightbulb Re: The Speaker Cable

    Not only which speaker cable or which interconnect you use is very important for the sound quality and the sound stage, also this FURUTECH if you believe it or not, shielded power cords are extremely important for your overall sound quality.



    *******************************This is no advertisement, this is just free information****************************

  9. #49
    Senior Hostboard Member
    The Speaker Cable


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: The Speaker Cable

    shielded power cords are needed?:laffingassoff:

    Your info may be free but that's about what it's worth.

    Believe what ever you want. Just don't try to present it as fact.
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  10. #50
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Re: The Speaker Cable

    I'm sooooooooo glad i'm not an "audiophile", why is it they always remind me of the mothers of child beauty pageant contestants?:snickerpup:
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.